Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC)
- The Michigan Economic Development Corporation, in collaboration with more than 100 economic development partners, markets Michigan as the place to do business, assists businesses in their growth strategies, and fosters the growth of vibrant communities across the state.
Michigan Smart Zones
Business accelerator services include, but are not limited to:
- Business Development Mentoring
- Networking Events
- Business Feasibility Studies
- Business Planning
- Enterepreneurial Training
- Grant Writing
- Incubator and Wet Lab Space
- Management Recruitment
- Market Analysis
- Product Development
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) assistance
- Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) assistance
- Technology Assessments
- Technology Mining
- Venture Capital Preparation and Introductions
- Learn the steps to start a small business, sell to the government, get financing help from the government, file and pay business taxes, and more. Their mission is to create and organize timely, needed government information and services and make them accessible anytime, anywhere, via your channel of choice.
The U.S. Commercial Service Michigan
- The U.S. Commercial Service is the lead trade promotion agency of the U.S. government. U.S. Commercial Service trade professionals in over 100 U.S. cities and more than 75 countries help U.S. companies get started in exporting or increase sales to new global markets.
Export-Import (EXIM) Bank of the United States
- Looking to jump-start or expand your foreign sales? EXIM is here to support your business. The Bank is an independent federal agency that fills gaps in private export finance in order to bolster U.S. job growth at no cost to American taxpayers.
- EXIM provides trade financing solutions – including export credit insurance, working capital guarantees, and guarantees of commercial loans to foreign buyers – to empower exporters of U.S. goods and services.
Small Business Development Centers (SBDC)
- National program offering counseling and business education for start-ups and companies of all stages
- Business plan development, financial management, raising capital, export strategy and commercialization
Michigan Manufacturing Technology Centers (MMTC)
- Focused on training, business development, quality management, and lean solutions to support growth
- Networked to extensive manufacturer and customer database to assist with local and regional supply chain
Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTACS)
- Free and low-cost insights, research and coaching through the local, county, state and federal government contracting process
- Offers counseling, bid matching, proposal prep & submission, workshops and other subcontracting assistance
Michigan Defense Center (MDC)
- Focused on programs to support and grow Michigan's defense and homeland security economy
- Exclusive Bid Targeting System (BTS) identifies and connects to federal and state contracting opportunities
- SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to educating entrepreneurs and helping small businesses start, grow, and succeed nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), and has been mentoring small business owners for more than forty years.
- SCORE is a valuable network of 10,000 volunteers who offer small business entrepreneurs confidential business counseling services at no charge. SCORE volunteers have the knowledge and experience to help any small business owner get the help they need. Our dedicated volunteers represent over 3,000 years of experience across 62 industries.
- SCORE also provides local workshops and events throughout the country to connect small business owners with the people and information they need to start, grow, and maintain their businesses, as well as online workshops available 24/7. SCORE provides resources, templates and tools to assist entrepreneurs in developing tools and plans they need to navigate their way to small business success.
Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA)
- MBDA is an agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce that promotes the growth of minority-owned business through the mobilization and advancement of public and private sector programs, policy, and research.
Detroit Economic Growth Corporation (DEGC)
- The vision of the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation is to be Detroit’s leading economic development and jobs organization, leveraging our expertise and innovation to advance a sustainable, robust and inclusive economy.
- DEGC is dedicated to its mission – to design and implement innovative solutions that drive investment, create jobs and advance the economy of the City of Detroit through public and private sector collaborations.
General Dynamics Land Systems The Manuever Collaboration Center - GDLS mc2
- Virtual community around collaboration between General Dynamics teammates, engineers, customers, suppliers and academia to foster innovation for military vehicle and systems
LOCAL & REGIONAL
- Automation Alley is a nonprofit technology and manufacturing business association and Michigan's Industry 4.0 knowledge center, with a global outlook and a regional focus. They connect industry, academia and government to fuel Michigan's economy and accelerate innovation. Automation Alley offers programs and services in business growth, entrepreneurship, talent development, defense and international business, providing resources and knowledge to help our members grow and prosper in the digital age.
Oakland County Economic Development & Community Affairs
- Oakland County Businesses Services are available to business owners in Oakland County and almost all of these high-quality services are available at no cost. Why? Because your business is located in Oakland County, and we want to help you thrive.
The Charter Township of Canton
- Canton offers everything from top-quality schools and a nationally accredited police department and leisure services department, to a wide variety of dining and shopping opportunities. Add to that, six beautiful community parks, a state-of-the-art community center, two golf courses, and a world-class theater, and you have the perfect place to live, work, or play.
The City of Southfield
- The City of Southfield is the premier business address in Michigan. With more than 27 million square feet of office space and over seven million square feet of retail and industrial space – Southfield is Michigan’s undisputed business center. In fact, Southfield boasts more office space than the central business districts of Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis or Kansas City. Southfield is home to over 10,000 businesses including more than 100 “Fortune 500” companies.
City of Sterling Heights
- Offers access to The Entrepreneurial Operating System® (EOS), a complete set of simple concepts and practical tools designed to help entrepreneurs reach their potential
- Specializes in providing services to businesses at all stages of development, focused on stimulating the local economy through business retention, expansion and attraction
Macomb OU Incubator
- The Macomb-Oakland University Incubator supports economic development in Southeast Michigan by accelerating high-tech businesses, cultivating academic innovation and encouraging research and development.
MDC/International Landing Zone (ILZ)
- Situated within Michigan’s defense corridor, the ILZ provides space for international companies interested in exploring the feasibility of opening or expanding operations in the United States
ACCELERATORS & INCUBATORS
Ann Arbor SPARK
- Ann Arbor SPARK, an economic engine within southeast Michigan, is cultivating a network of business and manufacturing excellence. Whether you are launching your first startup, a seasoned entrepreneur, or the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, their services can help you succeed.
- Propelling thought leadership and creative implementation, they concentrate their efforts on four innovation-driving industries: automotive and mobility; life sciences and healthcare; data and information; and technology. The services they provide include incubating and accelerating startups, showcasing their vibrant communities to site selectors and connecting job seekers with hopeful employers.
- Bamboo offers shared office space, co-working space and private offices in Detroit and Metro Detroit.
- TechTown is Detroit’s entrepreneurship hub. They are a different kind of incubator and accelerator, with a full suite of programs for both tech and neighborhood small businesses. They work with businesses at all stages, helping startup, emerging and established companies develop, launch and grow.
Kyyba Innovations' Pitch Club
- Pitch club is a unique mentoring and funding program hosted across the state of Michigan in Detroit, Ann Arbor, Lansing, and Grand Rapids. Pitch Club hosts ongoing monthly events that provide entrepreneurs the opportunity to learn from seasoned entrepreneurs and investors. The events are meant to educate, network, inspire and provide valuable experiences for being investable.
- Accelerator for advanced energy and transportation companies, technologies, and industries
- Offers business consulting, technology vetting, market research, testing services and access to funding
- One-year fellowship to place computer science graduates at Michigan start-ups following 5-week boot camp
- Companies must be selected as participating employer
Small Company Internship Award Program (SCIA)
- Helps hire university interns for mutually beneficial projects (matching funds from hosting company
ENTREPRENEUR TRAINING & EDUCATION
- Program provides women access to investor and adviser network, technology commercialization guidance and assistance with identifying new market opportunities
- Provides high-value information, training, and guidance to technology based small businesses to reach their milestones
- Specializes in research grant assistance, SBIR/STTR training, grants and contracts management and tech-based economic development
University of Michigan / First Customer Program
- Business assessment focused on critical gaps in business development, marketing, and sales
- Requires the company to share engagement costs (‘skin in the game’) and matched to short or long-term needs
Best Colleges Article "The Future of the MBA"
- Students in the coming generations follow trends in step with their peers, and students in Michigan and the Midwest will likely follow a current trend affecting national education – the rejection of the traditional general MBA degree. "The very nature of work is changing … so the way we educate and train future leaders and employees will have to change in parallel." - C. Tad. Brinkerhoff, Director of MBA Programs, University of Illinois
- The reasons for the decline of the MBA degree aren’t simple to trace, but the impact that such factors have on the business career climate will become significant for our students after their graduation. It’s for this reason that BestColleges has authored an article about the future of the MBA, with data on shifting student interests, political causes, and discussion of its possible evolution. Our goal is to prepare students with the information they need to make the right decisions for their best success, alongside preparing businesses for the shift in employment character.
GRANTS, MATCHING FUNDS & CREDITS
Business Accelerator Fund (BAF)
- Provides specialized business acceleration services and resources to help companies achieve critical growth milestones. Up to $50,000 awarded (>$15K small company match req’d)
Small Business Innovation Research / Small Business Technology Transfer (SBIR/STTR)
- Both R&D focused, agency-aligned and dependent, technology commercialization (SBIR) or university collaboration (STTR)
- Phased approach: feasibility to commercialization (6 mo.– 3 yrs)
- Specific solicitation windows; firms can influence topics
New Economy Initiative (NEI)
- The New Economy Initiative, a special project of the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan, is a philanthropy-led entrepreneurial development strategy working to build an inclusive network of support for entrepreneurs and small businesses in southeast Michigan.
Motor City Match
- Motor City Match connects new and expanding businesses with Detroit’s quality real estate opportunities, providing them with funding and tools to fuel the city’s entrepreneurial revolution.
TechTown Retail Boot Camp
- TechTown’s Retail Boot Camp is an intensive, eight-week program that prepares serious, Detroit-based entrepreneurs for the opening of their brick-and-mortar retail establishments. In addition to training, RBC provides access to critical start-up capital, affordable space and ongoing business support. Retail Boot Camp has gained a reputation for launching successful and much-anticipated businesses that are catalyzing neighborhood commercial districts.
Eastern Market Corporation
- If you are interested in starting a food business in our district, we want to talk to you! Beginning day one as a food entrepreneur can seem like an insurmountable task but we hope to be one of your biggest allies in finding the right resources to start your business and keep it thriving. We have programs, commercial kitchen spaces, grants, and guidance that you need to get your business off of the ground.
- Detroit SOUP is a micro-granting dinner celebrating and supporting creative projects in Detroit. For a donation $5 attendees receive soup, salad, bread and a vote and hear from four presentations ranging from art, urban agriculture, social justice, social entrepreneurs, education, technology and more. Each presenter has four minutes to share their idea and answer four questions from the audience. At the event, attendees eat, talk, share resources, enjoy art and vote on the project they think benefits the city the most. At the end of the night, we count the ballots and the winner goes home with all of the money raised to carry out their project. Winners come back to a future SOUP dinner to report their project’s progress.
- Hatch Detroit is a vehicle to champion and support independent retail businesses through funding, education, exposure and mentoring.
Detroit Regional Chamber Forward Detroit Program
Forward Detroit, the Detroit Regional Chamber’s economic development strategy, is built to ensure the 11-county Detroit region is educated, employed and healthy to compete in the 21st century global economy. The strategy is centered around five strategic pillars – Talent, Community, People, Global Connectivity and Next-Generation Mobility.
Wayne Metro - Michigan $ave$ IDA
- Down payment on a first home
- Funds for a microbusiness
- Payment for tuition and books for college for you or your dependent
Blackstone Launch Pad
- Blackstone LaunchPad is a campus based entrepreneurship program, accessible by over 500K students globally, designed to support and mentor students, staff and alumni - regardless of major, experience or discipline.
Detroit Land Bank
- The Detroit Land Bank is a public authority dedicated to returning Detroit’s vacant, abandoned, and foreclosed property to productive use. Our current programs include auction, side lot, community partnership and demolition.
Michigan - County Land Banks
- The mission of the Michigan Land Bank is to promote economic growth in this state through the acquisition, assembly and disposal of public property, including tax reverted property, in a coordinated manner to foster the development of that property, and to promote and support land bank operations at the county and local levels.
Mission: Ignite, Unleash and Promote a Culture of Entrepreneurship
MiQuest welcomes collaborative partnerships and invites entrepreneurs, business coaches, educators, and investors to become involved with current and developing initiatives.
Invest Michigan Pre-Seed Fund
- The Michigan Pre-Seed Fund is an investment fund that supports pre-seed and seed stage technology companies located in Michigan.
- The Michigan Pre-Seed Fund offers equity or convertible debt initial investments ranging from $100,000 – $250,000 with the goal of supporting our portfolio companies with additional follow-on investments.
Emerging Technology Fund (ETF)
- Matches up to 25% of SBIR/STTR funding w/1:1 match
- Must submit pre-SBIR/STTR
- Phase 1 - up to $25K, Phase 2 – up to $125K
Michigan Accelerating Technologies Energy Grant (MATch)
- For eligible Michigan small businesses and university researchers applying for advanced energy- or transportation-related, non-SBIR/STTR federal funding
- 20% of cost-share and/or $30-50K commercialization
Small Company Innovation Program/Technology & Commercialization Assistance (SCIP/TCA)
- Assists Michigan small companies & startups to access resources at any of Michigan’s 15 public universities, including faculty expertise, use of laboratory equipment, testing services, etc.
- Typically a 1:1 entrepreneur match up to $40K
DC3 Creative Co. Services Fund (DC3)
- Awards tech-based start ups with match-funding toward purchasing professional design services from Creative Co.
- Members (30% match up to $25K award)
- Kyyba Ventures is a Michigan-based private investment fund looking to make investments in companies with significant growth opportunities. The fund will invest in late early-stage companies in Healthcare Services, Medical Devices and Digital Health Technologies.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Activate for Startups
- Provides startups with the low cost, easy to use infrastructure needed to scale and grow
- Provides startups with the resources they need to quickly get started on AWS – including credits, training, and support
Michigan Venture Capital Association (MVCA)
- MVCA membership offers an opportunity to support the development, growth, and sustainability of Michigan in the entrepreneurial & investment community.
APEX Advisors Research & Development (R&D) Tax Credit
- Every day, your business is taking a risk. Whether you’re researching a new drug, creating a mobile app, refining a mold or building a skyscraper, you’re doing more than just running a business. You’re taking a leap of faith that doesn’t guarantee you’ll get paid for your hard work. That’s why the Research & Development (R&D) tax credit exists.
- The R&D tax credit provides businesses with an actual credit on the taxes they pay. It is one of the most valuable credits available because it is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in tax liability. There are no caps, no application fees, no restrictions on how you can use your credit dollars.
City of Detroit Tax Incentives & Grants
Detroit's business environment is complemented by various tax incentives that invite companies to do business in a fertile economy. Businesses planning expansion or relocation will benefit greatly from Detroit's tax incentive programs. All investors, developers and business owners are encouraged to take advantage of the wide array of incentives and services offered by the City of Detroit. Here, you'll find a wealth of information about the benefits of locating a business or property in the City of Detroit.
APACC / CEED Loan Program
APACC and CEED Lending are proud to announce that starting in January 2016, any APACC member (in good standing) with a business headquarted in Wayne, Oakland, Washtenaw, Lenawee, Macomb, Hillsdale, Jackson, Livingston or Monroe counties could be eligible for a loan up to $50,000.
Going PRO Talent Fund (formerly STTF)
- The Going PRO Talent Fund (Talent Fund), formerly known as the Skilled Trades Training Fund, makes awards to employers to assist in training, developing and retaining current and newly hired employees. Training funded by the Talent Fund must be short-term and fill a demonstrated talent need experienced by the employer. Training must lead to a credential for a skill that is transferable and recognized by industry.
First Capital Fund
- Newly launched “pre-seed” fund for rapid deployment with lower due diligence. No match required, up to $150K
- Firm <18 mos., 2 FTEs, <$500K raised, Tech sector
First Step Fund
- "Early-mid” seed investment fund serving emerging and newly formed high growth businesses in Southeast Michigan. Initial investments $15,000 to $150,000 with considered follow-on
Pre-Seed Fund 2.0
- $10M investment fund aimed at supporting pre-seed and seed stage Michigan technology companies. Equity or convertible debt initial investments ($50,000 – $150,000)
Biosciences Research and Commercialization Center (BRCC) Commercialization Fund of Western Michigan University Research Foundation
- Investment fund targeted toward promising life sciences products or platforms (pharma, med devices, diagnostics)
- May include angel/venture capitalist partnering plus BRCC management role ($25,000 – $250,000 per deal)
Build Institute / Detroit Kiva Zip Loans
- Build Institute is excited to be a trustee of Kiva, a 0% interest, crowdfunded microloan focused on character rather than credit, that provides entrepreneurs access to capital to grow their business.
- ProsperUS Detroit is a place-based economic development strategy designed to empower low and moderate income, immigrant and minority individuals. Through our culturally competent range of services, we strive to support the entrepreneurial spirit and small business community that exists in Detroit’s neighborhoods.
Detroit Development Fund
- DDF provides business financing in the form of a loan.
- Invest Detroit is a catalyst for economic growth managing a variety of targeted funds. They finance and support business development, commercial real estate, entrepreneurs, and high-tech companies in Detroit and the region. They collaborate with the public, private, and philanthropic sectors to create jobs, density, sustainability, and opportunity for underserved communities and markets.
Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) Detroit
- Supports Detroit's Neighborhoods
- Equitable Impact Investment Fund
- City of Detroit 0% Interest Home Repair Loan Program
MidTown Detroit, Inc.
- Works with developers and small business owners from the beginning stages of their investment through execution.
Opportunity Resource Fund
- A nonprofit loan fund with a successful history of investing in families, businesses, and communities across the state of Michigan.
MEDC Early Stage Funding
- Early stage funding is critical to the success of startup companies and entrepreneurs. Through a number of programs, MEDC’s Entrepreneurial & Innovation initiative is here to help you find the early stage funding needed.
Michigan Women's Foundation (MIWF) Grants & Microloans
- The Michigan Women's MicroLoan Fund is a financing program available to women entrepreneurs and small business owners. It is often difficult for newly formed but promising businesses to obtain financing; the Michigan Women's Microloan Fund is designed to meet that need.
ACCESS Growth Center
- ACCESS Growth Center is the newest department at ACCESS, dedicated to community and economic development. Its signature program, the Immigrant Entrepreneur Program, involves supporting entrepreneurs who want to start and grow businesses, helping them connect to the myriad of entrepreneurial resources available throughout southeast Michigan.
Angels & Venture Capitalists
- From the biosciences organization, MichBio, a comprehensive list of Angel investors and Venture Capital groups
BUSINESS PLAN COMPETITIONS
- Annual business competition features the best and brightest seed-stage businesses to regional investors
- Event consists of company & student pitches, entrepreneur investor networking and over $500,000 in awards
- Early-stage pitch competition connecting entrepreneurs with small business supporters, angels and venture capital investors from all over Michigan. Total of $100K in cash prizes is offered
Michigan Growth Capital Symposium (MGCS)
- One of the premier capital events, the MGCS connects startup founders with angel investors and venture capital firms from across the U.S. as well as with technology transfer professionals from several dozen top-ranked Universities
Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council (MMSDC)
The Great Lakes Women's Business Council (WBC)
- MMSDC is a non-profit, 501(c)3 organization committed to driving economic growth within minority communities. The MMSDC certifies minority businesses, develops their capacity and facilitates inclusive procurement opportunities.
The National Veteran Business Development Council (NVBDC)
- The Great Lakes Women's Business Council bridges the gap for contracting activities between women's business enterprises and corporate and government buyers. The Great Lakes Women's Business Council is one of the 14 certifying partner organizations with the Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) in Washington, DC.
- NVBDC is the only third party Veteran Owned Business Certification program in the United States and is organized as a 501c3 not for profit foundation.
- The NVBDC was created for the purpose of providing a credible and reliable certifying authority that would ensure that valid documentation exists of a business' Veteran ownership and control.