DTE Energy connects customers to multimillion-dollar home heating programs
In the past 12 months, nearly $200 million made available by DTE-led coalition for low-income Michiganders
As Michigan braces for another cold winter and higher energy usage, DTE Energy is helping those facing financial hardships pay their bills. In the past 12 months, the company has helped connect its customers to nearly $200 million in aid – more than ever before – and is gearing up with its partners now to continue this support in winter’s coldest months, when many will need it most.
Help is available for those having trouble paying their energy bills through many payment assistance options:
- For customers who need help paying their energy bill, DTE offers several payment assistance programs. Contact DTE at 800.477.4747 as soon as you know you may have a challenge paying your bill.
- Customers may also dial 211 to reach a service agency for help in identifying all the assistance available.
- Customers may also be eligible for protection from disconnects based on income and other factors. Learn more at dteenergy.com/help
As a leader of this coalition, DTE serves as a conduit for the customer funding, a onestop shop for financial help. “We want every in-need customer to know that the help is here for you,” said Joi Harris, president and COO of DTE Gas. “You just have to reach out.”
While DTE is working with its coalition partners to determine exactly how much money will be available in the next 12 months, Harris said it will once again amount to tens of millions of dollars. In addition, Harris announced that DTE will support THAW’s fundraising efforts during their annual Week of Warmth the first week in November. “We know these are challenging times for many across the state, so our goal is to provide direct assistance to those in need,” she said.
DTE’s approach to securing natural gas – buying gas over the course of 24 months before delivering it to customers – has traditionally protected customers from recent energy price volatility. While natural gas prices have continued to rise across the country, DTE assures customers it is committed to keeping bills as affordable as possible and has multiple forms of help available for those who may be struggling.
DTE’s energy efficiency programs can also help customers see savings on their bills:
- Home Energy Consultations provide free, energy efficient products as well as money-saving tips for a single-family home, duplex or condominium. Customers can call 866.796.0512 to schedule a consultation.
- Customers who have a limited income may explore DTE’s Energy Efficiency Assistance (EEA) program, where qualifying customers can receive additional energy efficient products to help reduce their monthly bills.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Save up to $180 annually by programming it for the season. The recommended settings for winter are 68 degrees during the day and a degree or two lower at night.
- Save up to $200 a year by sealing air leaks around your home to keep heat in and cold air outside and adding proper insulation.
- Inspect and replace your furnace filter at the start of the season and at least every 3 months to ensure your furnace can work at peak efficiency.
- For more tips and ways to save on winter heating bills, visit dteenergy.com/staywarm.
Interview opportunity: Tamara Johnson, DTE director of energy assistance, is available for interviews. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 734.233.5235 to schedule an interview.
About DTE Energy
DTE Energy (NYSE: DTE) is a Detroit-based diversified energy company involved in the development and management of energy-related businesses and services nationwide. Its operating units include an electric company serving 2.2 million customers in Southeast Michigan and a natural gas company serving 1.3 million customers in Michigan. The DTE portfolio includes energy businesses focused on power and industrial projects; renewable natural gas; natural gas pipelines, gathering and storage; and energy marketing and trading. As an environmental leader, DTE utility operations will reduce carbon dioxide and methane emissions by more than 80 percent by 2040 to produce cleaner energy while keeping it safe, reliable and affordable. DTE Electric and Gas aspire to achieve net zero carbon and greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. DTE is committed to serving with its energy through volunteerism, education and employment initiatives, philanthropy, and economic progress. Information about DTE is available at dteenergy.com, empoweringmichigan.com, twitter.com/dte_energy and facebook.com.