Substations Operations Supervisor - Muskegon Heights, MI
The successful candidate will work from the Norton Shores, Big Rapids OR Ludington office. This position provides the leadership for OM&C employees performing operation of substation/metro underground equipment and HVD lines in the greater Norton Shores area and will be expected to fill in on a temporary basis for other Substation Operation Supervisors across the state as needed.
The individual will be expected to coordinate with various internal departments and provide weekly work plans to System Control in support of outage planning. Candidate must have the ability to learn and utilize technology in support of operation activities, and is highly capable of promoting safe practices, procedures and behaviors in employees. Must also have the ability to understand and administer the provisions of the working agreement.
Location: Muskegon, Ludington, and Big Rapids
Duties and Responsibilities
- Experience in the maintenance and operations of HVD / distribution substations AND knowledge and experience in the operation of substation equipment.
- Must be a team player with strong leadership skills to direct, motivate and develop employees and complete complex tasks.
- Effective planning and administrative skills for scheduling and execution of substation operation work plans is needed.
- Good communication skills are required to negotiate with large commercial/industrial and metro underground customers.
- Must be available to work scheduled overtime and be able to respond to emergency outages and customer outages as they occur (within and outside of the Norton Shores area).
- This position will also be in an on-call rotation with other Substation Operation Supervisors across the state.
- Individual possesses the skills to lead, problem solve, and work well in a team environment.
- Strong leadership and safety skills, negotiation skills, and use of wireless technology and strong computer skills are required along with an ability to be able to travel as the work location requires.
- Responsible for the planning, organization, coordination, evaluation and supervision of employees assigned to the operation, maintenance and construction of Electric distribution systems, customer Electric services, electric generation plant facilities, buildings and grounds or utility support areas.
- Verbal and written communication skills demonstrated fluency with Excel and Word software.
- Recommends proposed changes and enhancements to systems and facilities operation; responds to complaints and requests for information; prepares and maintains reports of completed job orders and the status of jobs in progress.
- Inspects job sites to check on work progress, assure satisfactory completion and plans new assignments; prepares requisitions for operations and maintenance supplies, equipment and materials and supervises special projects as required.
- Individual should exemplify safe work practices and follow the company's compliance standards.
- Conducts regular safety meetings, participates as a member of a safety committee; investigates and completes necessary incident reports and accident reports; maintains records, prepares and submits required reports for appropriate agencies.
- Implements preventative maintenance programs.
- High School diploma / GED is required or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A self-starter and possess the ability to coordinate activities among internal and external work groups.
- The Substation Operations Supervisor requires technical knowledge in electric transmission, distribution, metering and/or applicable utility experience gained either through a technical field of study and/or through a related work experience.
- Ability to read and understand construction prints.
- The work takes place in all weather conditions--the ability to work in the elements is an expected part of this position.
- Working outside of normal work hours during storm or emergency restoration and responding to customer emergencies during anytime of the day, including evenings and weekends is required.
- Substation background.
- Leadership experience.
- Microsoft Office.
- Microsoft Project.
- SAP knowledge.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Project Management experience or PMP Certification.
- Utility or electrical contractor experience.