Strategic Sourcing Manager - Zeeland, MI
Manage the total cost and performance of selected categories/contracts of key indirect goods and services. This is accomplished through effective Strategic Sourcing, Supplier Performance Management, and Supplier Development. Continually improve the total cost of ownership through value stream improvement.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as someone who . . .
- Conduct strategic sourcing for services, items, or commodities with supervision and coaching.
- Develop specifications/requirements, conduct market analysis, cost analysis, RFx, implement solutions and manage supplier performance, with supervision and coaching.
- Draft moderately complex contracts with moderate risk to the company. Contracts may need to be reviewed by the Director of Strategic Sourcing.
- Influence others to meet milestones and coordinate work of others. May lead cross-functional project teams.
- Lead and negotiate agreements that are complex in nature, potentially high risk to the company, and/or non-repetitive in nature; with minimal or no supervision.
- May be required to understand philosophy and tools of lean manufacturing via the Herman Miller Performance System (HMPS); successfully solve small to medium lean office problems using the Plan, Do, Check and Act (PDCA) process with coaching.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested.
- Responsible for relationship management at assigned suppliers; understands how supplier's operating plans must change to achieve Herman Miller's objectives and successfully influences suppliers to make the changes; works effectively with senior supplier management as appropriate.
- Successfully build and maintain contracts and relationships which may span country and/or regional borders.
- Support and coordinate with business partners to identify and implement Business Process Outsourcing (BPO).
- Support and coordinate with business partners to identify and implement improvements as required.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have . . .
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Materials Management, Finance, Engineering, Operations Management, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) preferred.
- 4 years in a professional procurement role with exposure to a variety of manufacturing processes and commodities.
- Experience with RFPs- Request for proposal, bid, contract negotiation, and supplier management.
- Working knowledge of all aspects of business operations, including Finance, Accounting, Legal, Materials Management, Engineering and Quality, etc.
- Understanding of prepared financial statements; ability to interpret and assign meaning to income statements, cash flow statements and balance sheets.
- Ability to break down the five cost elements in highly complex situations.
- Demonstrated ability to do cost analysis and to apply HMPS thinking to supplier process and value streams.
- Demonstrated successful negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated successful problem-solving skills.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated cross-functional leadership skills.
- Understanding of and ability to apply formal project management principles as appropriate.
- Ability to work with individuals at various organizational levels within and outside of Herman Miller, Inc.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and lead others without formal authority.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use office automation/communication software and tools currently being used in the HMI office environment.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the position with or without accommodations.