Research Grant/Contract Specialist, Gastroenterology - Detroit, MI
Under general supervision, responsible for monitoring the financial status of one type of grant or for a small number of Principal Investigators utilizing proper accounting procedures. Analyze expense reports for the proper allocation of grant funds and expenses, and collaborate with external departments to verify and correct all accounting errors. Assist the Principal Investigators in the preparation of research grants, with specific responsibility for the preparation of budgets in compliance with internal and external agency guidelines.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In conjunction with Principal Investigators, responsible for the preparation of research grant applications for both internal and external source, in compliance with internal and agency guidelines. Works with various departments to obtain cost data. Prepare budgets, checking for accuracy and completeness.
- Complete all other agency ad HFHS pre- and post-award forms. Acts as a liaison between Principal Investigators, Research Administration, and Fund Accounting to ensure that pre- and post-award requirements are met and all issues resolves.
- Coordinate and monitor accounting and budget system monthly for one type of grant or for a small number of Principal Investigators. Analyze reports and interact with Fund Accounting to clarify and correct discrepancies. Interact with the Principal Investigator and Fund Accounting to ensure that revenues and expenditures are managed appropriately and conform to project awards, agency guidelines and internal policies.
- Utilizing a computer-based system, provide the Principal Investigator with regular budget projections.
- Responsible for the timely completion of salary splits and time and effort reports to ensure that personnel are charged appropriately and efforts are reportedly monthly
- Act as a liaison between the granting agency, Principal Investigators, Research Administration and Fund Accounting to collect the information required to initiate subcontracts, consultant agreements, and service agreements. Review contracts/agreements and monitor to ensure that financial reporting obligations are met.
- Responsible for keeping up-to-date wit agency and HFHS guidelines.
- May serve as a liaison with Human Resources by assisting with the hiring process including the completion of paperwork, and answering employee questions about HR issues, benefits and procedures.
- Requires college coursework in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field with knowledge of Excel or similar software packages.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Minimum of three to four (3-4) years of relevant experience.
- Analytical ability with attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer