Mortgage Underwriter II - VirtualGENERAL FUNCTION: Performs a wide range of duties related to the underwriting of residential mortgage loans.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Utilize all systems in place, including automated underwriting to underwrite files in a timely manner.
- Underwrite conventional, portfolio loans, and FHA/VA loans.
- Underwrite simultaneous second lien/home equity loans in appropriate origination system, within approved RCC lending authority.
- Manage expected service levels related to decision and condition clearing.
- Update information on processing and underwriting systems to verify, add, delete or waive conditions.
- Contact Loan Originators with the decision on the loan immediately after underwriting the file.
- Responsible for appropriate section of HMDA Worksheet.
- Review exception reports to ensure completion of all tasks.
- Serve as an intermediary for loan issues with the Regional Sales Managers.
- Actively participate in ongoing efforts to continually improve customer service for internal and external customers.
- Perform personnel tasks for the team such as time sheets, coaching, and identifying training needs.
- Assist in training new hires.
- Maintain knowledge of Fifth Third Mortgage Company policies and procedures in addition to private investors, government investors and portfolio Credit Policy and Guidelines.
- Consumer lending credit authority is commensurate with consumer lending authority guidelines and business need.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Four year degree or equivalent experience required.
- Must have five (5) years experience in Underwriting.
- In-depth knowledge of conventional, government and portfolio lending guidelines. FHADE, VALAPP preferred.
- Must have experience with Mortgage origination systems, platforms tools and technology.
- Must have demonstrated ability to analyze complex loan requests including cash flow analysis of business and personal tax returns.
- Knowledge of the complete mortgage lending process.
- Knowledge of financial analysis techniques.
- High degree of attention to detail. Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills. Demonstrated teamwork and customer service skills.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) required
- Ability to analyze policies, procedures and guidelines in a way that maximizes productivity but protects the level of risk desired.
- Ability to make decisions in a time