Emergency Room Technical Assistant - 36 hrs/wk Variable Shift - West Bloomfield, MI
Assist with patient care based on individual needs within the scope of practice under direct supervision of a registered nurse or physician.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assists RNs and physicians with assessments, examinations and treatments as requested. The following list of treatments/examinations is not inclusive and may vary by Business Unit:
- Drawing blood and collection of specimens
- Splint/immobilizers applications
- Taking vital signs on adults and pediatric patients
- Inserting neuro-gastric tubes and attaches it to the ordered drainage.
- Urethral catherizations of adult patients
- Application of sterile dressings
- Starting unmedicated IV's in Category II
- Discontinuance of peripheral IV's
Prepares and assists physician with procedures such as:
- Suturing-preps patients and prepares sterile trays.
- Application of casts, holding patients.
- Miscellaneous procedures including pelvic exams, lumbar punctures
- Recognizes potentially life threatening dysrhythmias and abnormal vital signs and reports same to RN/provider
- Assists patients as needed.
- Adheres to hospital policy addressing standard precautions, safety regulations and guidelines.
- Documents patient care performed, including vital signs.
- Cleans equipment, monitor stock and restocks equipment and supplies as required.
- Assists in ordering routine equipment; maintains sufficient quantities of stretchers, wheelchairs, suction equipment, etc. in ER area.
- Transports patients and supplies.
- Maintains departmental cleanliness and prepares rooms between patients and procedures.
- Maintains knowledge and utilization of limited high tech emergency and nonemergency equipment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- High school diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Previous Emergency Dept Technician, MA or Nursing Assistant experience preferred.
- BCLS certification required.
One of four certifications required:
- Graduate Medical Assistant from an accredited program.
- Completion of a formal nursing education program to practice as an RN offshore.
- Completion of a formal medical doctor education program to practice as a medical doctor offshore.
- EMT license preferred.
- Successful completion of a 180 day orientation period required.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer