EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS OPERATOR I - Grand Rapids, MISalary: $44,113.00 - $56,223.00 Annually
Closing: 6/14/2021 12:00 AM Eastern
Nature of Work
The purpose of this job is to manage calls of service for the public and provide emergency services (police/ambulance/fire). Corresponds to emergency and non- emergency phone calls, processes file checks for officers and provides information to officers by monitoring their locations.
- Processes requests for assistance from the public
- Accesses information from Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN) and National Crime Information Center (NCIC) systems
- Monitors radio traffic for conformance with Federal Communications Commission requirements
- Maintains records and prepares reports
- Handles dispatch needs at the Mobile Command Post System for Critical Incidents. Assumes responsibility for radio traffic of participants as directed.
- Coordinates communications of all key participants at the site
- Serves as official record keeper of everything at the site; maintain responsibility for communications systems with negotiations and the suspect; maintain responsibility for equipment readiness of the unit; perform the work at any time of day or night; must be trained to handle the mobile unit
- Provides duties related to other agencies as well as the media in connection with MDOT installed freeway cameras; changes the speed and message sign systems
- Trains police officers regarding the emergency communications operating systems.
- Maintains file systems of the master street address guide, intersection file, commonplace file, unit file, police reporting area file, police unit assignment file information file system.
- Performs related work as required
- High school diploma (or GED equivalent)
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities