Court Deputy - Part-Time
Under limited supervision, is responsible for performing security and law enforcement functions within the Oakland County Courthouse, County Complex Buildings, Friend of the Court, District Courts, and County parks. Duties include operating a stationary x-ray machine and a handheld metal detector to detect weapons and unauthorized objects. Deputies will also perform visual inspections of briefcases, purses, and packages to locate weapons and any unauthorized objects. When assigned may provide security in the courtrooms, judges' chambers, probation departments, cashier areas, and outside perimeter of courthouse buildings including parking lots. Responds to emergency situations, and assists in making arrests.
Applications will be rejected if the following information is not provided at the time of application:
- If you are qualifying with enrollment in the Police Academy, email a copy of your enrollment documentation to email@example.com
- Document MCOLES License number under the License & Certification section
- Thoroughly documented work history
- Valid Driver's License number
- The application is incomplete in ANY capacity
1. Be a High School graduate, or have certificate of successful completion of the General Education Development Test (GED); AND
2. a. Have had at least one (1) year of experience as an Oakland County Sheriff’s Office Corrections Deputy; OR
b. Possess current MCOLES license OR be currently attending a Police Academy training or its equivalent (as required by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES); OR
NOTE: Must have successfully completed the police academy and be eligible to be licensed prior to the date of hire.
c. Be an Oakland County Sheriff’s Office Reserve Deputy, Marine Deputy or Mounted Deputy and have completed 1,000 hours of service within the last five (5) years; OR
d. Have two (2) years of full-time work experience as a Corrections Officer or Road Patrol Officer in the last five (5) years.
3. Possess a valid United States motor vehicle operator’s or chauffeur’s license. Out of Country driver’s license holders will be required to obtain the appropriate valid State of Michigan driver’s license before the hire date.
4. Have not been convicted of a violation of criminal law including domestic violence. (Criminal law generally includes all offenses except traffic law, conservation law and liquor law. Generally, conviction for a violation of criminal law is automatically disqualifying).
5. Have at least 20/20 corrected vision with both eyes and have normal color vision and depth perception in both eyes.
6. Have normal corrected hearing in each ear, per Michigan Commission On Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES).
7. Pass the complete examination including the employment medical, established for this classification.